Thursday 27 December 2007

In Celebration of Kwanzaa - Kujichagulia (Self-determination)

On this second day of Kwanzaa, the principle Kujichagulia (Self-determination) is celebrated. This is my favourite principle in the Nguzo Saba. I love the word and it's pronounciation (koo-jee-chah-goo-LEE-ah). You need determination just to pronounce it correctly! Most of all, I love it's meaning as it reflects what I strive to achieve and be.

Kujichagulia to me, means not being afraid to stand for what I believe in. Being true to myself and to others. Define for myself, speak for myself and caring for myself in order to care for others.

Today I will think about what I want from my life, for my family and for the community and strive to make it happen.

Today I will continue to share my culture and spirituality with others through my love of African art.

Happy Kwanzaa

No comments:

Zulu Hats or Isicholos

Zulu Hats or Isicholos
"It makes me happy" ("Beauty is the promise of happiness") Stendhal - French Author