Saturday 1 March 2008

I Called Her "Mamma"


Happy Mothers day. This is a day to celebrate the role of women and motherhood.

I lost my mum sometime ago but spiritually we are still connected and I feel she is watching over me every single day.

Do I appreciate her more this day than I do any other day? No I don't but all the hype surrounding Mothers Day has given me the opportunity to remember that I am also a mother as well as remembering my mum (mamma).

I dedicate this piece of art, the Makonde Breast to all Mammas out there. This is another one of my favourite pieces of African art. I love its shape and its meaning.

This special body mask originates from the Makonde people from southern Tanzania and represents a young pregnant woman (amwali ndembo). It is used during the initiation ceremony of adolescent boys and girls and forms part of a costume of a male dancer who wears a matching female mask to protect his identify. Together with a male mask figure, he performs a mesmerizing dance that includes the dramatisation of the burdens of pregnancy and the agonies of childbirth.

This piece is a constant reminder to me, of the miraculous process that goes on inside that 'bump' and the joys of motherhood.

Happy Mammas Day!

No comments:

Zulu Hats or Isicholos

Zulu Hats or Isicholos
"It makes me happy" ("Beauty is the promise of happiness") Stendhal - French Author