Thursday 15 March 2007

Life, Death, Life after Death?


This piece of art is produced by the Makonde people of southern Tanzania and is called the "Tree of Life" or Ujamaa. It depicts the members of an extended family both past and present generations, supporting each other, around the family ancestor. Emphasing the importance of both unity and continuity.

Earlier today, a dear friend of mine's father passed away. Today, I feel sad and tearful. Sad for my friend, sad for myself. Tears for my friend and tears for myself. I hope this doesn't sound too selfish but that is honestly how I feel. Hearing about this death brings back all the anxieties and fears that I felt when my mother passed away. It makes me recall the death of other loved ones - my brother, my father-in-law, my friend - and all the other lives that you hear that have been lost.

I don't think that anyone can argue that death is not inevitable. We know that it will definitely happen to all of us one day. The exact time, the exact moment that it will happen, we can never tell. However, is that it? Is there life after death? Who prepares us for death? I used to find death so very frightening but I feel much calmer about it now. Why? I am not sure. Maybe it's about time. They say time is a great healer. Over time I have debated and reasoned with myself and others about the issue, so maybe time and being able to talk about it has helped me to come to terms with death.

My relationship with African art, I believe, has helped me with my view on death. In my deepest darkest moments it has filled me with peace. When I don't want to face the outside world, like today, I find solace and comfort in my arts. In African societies, art has been an important and effective tool in solving problems and overcoming adversity. It encompasses the entire cycle of life from birth, to initiation, through to death and the afterlife. Although removed from their African context and placed in my home, African art has been given a new lease of life. It is no longer an empty shell, it now has soul.

An important function of African art is to honour ancestors or family members that have passed away. In African society, even when a member of the family has died they still play an important role in family life and are recognised through rituals.

I believe the loved ones we have lost watch over us and participate in our everyday lives. We need to ensure in every way we can that they still play an important role in our everyday lives.

Thinking of you.

No comments:

Zulu Hats or Isicholos

Zulu Hats or Isicholos
"It makes me happy" ("Beauty is the promise of happiness") Stendhal - French Author